This Mother’s Day is special for me. Not only because I myself became a mother for the first time 6 months ago, but because I have a brand new appreciation for my own Mom.
And not only because I understand all her love and sacrifices much better now when I am experiencing this all-consuming love myself, but because this angel of a woman left everything behind, put her own life on hold yet again and moved in to help with the baby for all these months, making it all so much easier on both me and my husband.
I can't even imagine how I would have done this without her, after C-section, with my first photography assignment a few weeks after giving birth, with my irrational fear of daycare (or is this separation anxiety?). Indubitably, moms are amazing.
As many of us, I am getting ready for May 12 trying to think of something special for the most important lady in my life. And also secretly anticipating my own very first day of appreciation. Finally, after 6 months of sleepless nights and spit-up. Every time I see a list of gifts for Mother’s Day in my newsfeed, I open it hoping there will be something wonderful I didn’t yet think of. Or something I can share with husband as an eloquent hint.
As for many of you, it’s been disappointment on top of disappointment. A sleep mask? A nipple cream and dry shampoo?? A baby lounger? That’s not even FOR a mom. I can get all this myself, thank-you-very-much. It got quite tiresome, seeing all these never-ending lists of must-haves that no one ever wanted, so I decided to make my own list. Help me enhance it by sharing your ideas and desires.
1. Spa Day. Moms get tired. Moms continuously put everyone else first. A spa day, or at least a professional massage/pedicure is the best way to show her how much you care. Some of the great local venues for this are Woodhouse Day Spa in Rochester Hills and Beach House Day Spa in Birmingham. Please add the places you love in the comments.
2. Membership to a yoga studio, or any other sports venue of her choice. Those are expensive, but many offer discounted options for Mother’s Day. For example, Explore Yoga studio in Troy. Even if your Mom is not very athletic, she could appreciate relaxing yin yoga or yoga nidra (a rejuvenating yogic sleep).
3. Photo session. What do all moms have in common? They love us and to make memories with us. Snapping photos with a phone is fun and easy, but why not give her a photo session by a professional photographer for a change? The quality, the uplifting experience, the service is unmatched and will make her social media rave for days, while allowing her to decorate the house with art that features you, the best kind of art.
4. Cooked meal delivery service. Life is busy. There is so much one needs to accomplish in one day, especially when you are a mom. Hours spent in the kitchen are one of the most vital yet one of the most under-appreciated tasks. Treat mom to a subscription to cooked healthy meals for a month. She’ll love this welcome break.
5. Gift card to TJMaxx, Amazon, or another favorite store of hers. This is so simple, yet very valuable. I learned how valuable gift cards are at my baby shower. A few friends who gave us gift cards hit the spot, because I was able to buy exactly what we needed as soon as the need arose. I still remember what each friend’s card brought us. The. Best. Gift.
6. Robot vacuum. Self-explanatory. Make her life easier.
7. Dinner or brunch at the fanciest of her favorite restaurants. This can also be a beautiful addition to any of the gifts listed above.
Please feel free to add in the comments what you would love to receive as a gift this Mother’s Day. Let’s make an ultimate list.